Sliding vs. French Doors: Which Model is Best for Your Patio Renovation in 2023?
Are you planning a patio renovation project in 2023? If so, one of the most important considerations homeowners need to make is choosing the right door type to match the current exterior and interior. When it comes to door replacement, two of the most popular options are sliding and French doors.
So let’s compare both patio doors in Canada, focusing on important aspects such as aesthetics, energy efficiency, costs, and home market value. Afterwards, you can decide which is best for your patio renovation projects to complement your space and boost curb appeal.
Sliding and French designs are the most popular patio doors in Canada, so both models come with unique aesthetic qualities that can enhance the look and feel of your patio. Here are some of the key differences:
- Elegant yet modern design
- Many custom options of colours and finishes
- Seamless transition between indoor and outdoor spaces
- Different configurations to perfectly fit your space
You May Also Like: 10 French Door Designs For Your Office You’ll Absolutely Love
- Traditional yet sleek design
- A perfect match for almost any home architectural styles
- A wide variety of glass types and finishes
- Provide a wide opening for easy access to your patio
When it comes to aesthetics, it really boils down to your personal preference. Sliding doors may be the better option if you’re a big fan of a modern and streamlined look. On the other hand, French doors may be the way to go if you’re looking for a classic and timeless design.
Energy efficiency is becoming increasingly crucial for homeowners for environmental reasons and cost savings. Here’s how sliding doors and French doors compare in terms of energy efficiency:
- Come with a huge glass area, but modern triple glazing boosts energy efficiency
- Can be equipped with low-emissivity (low-E) glass to retain heat during winters and cool during summers
- The sealing might not be that tight compared to French doors, leading to lower energy efficiency, so the triple glazing is a must here
- Typically have smaller glass panels to retain heat better
- Can also be customized with low-E glass and insulated frames to improve energy efficiency
- Enhanced sealing due to multi-point locking systems, which can improve insulation and security
Most experts replacing patio doors in Vancouver agree that the French series may have a slight edge over sliding doors in energy efficiency due to their smaller glass panels. However, both options can be customized with triple glazing, LoE-coatings and other features to boost energy efficiency, so consult with the professionals regarding your specific needs and budget.
Cost is always a major consideration for any homeowner considering home renovations. Ultimately, the cost will depend on various factors, including the size of your opening, the materials and finishes you choose, as well as any additional customization options.
- Sliding doors are less expensive, with an average price of $1200-$2000 per unit
- French doors come with a higher price tag, with an average range of $1700-$2900
The prices above are usually for standard-sized units with double glass. Expect the cost to go up an additional 15% if you choose triple glazing or other energy-efficiency add-ons. Make sure to get quotes from several reputable contractors to compare costs and make an informed decision.
Home Market Value
Finally, it’s important to consider how your door choice can impact your home’s market value. While new patio doors will do only good, the final boost to your home value might vary. See what potential buyers will consider.
- Can appeal to buyers who prefer a modern and minimalist design
- Can be a selling point if you have a large opening and want to showcase your outdoor space
- May not add as much value to a traditional or historic home
Recommended Read: 11 French Country Vanity Options (& What I’m Getting for Our Remodel)
- Can appeal to buyers who prefer traditional or classic design
- Can be a selling point if you have a smaller opening and want to create a cozy and inviting space
- Can be a perfect additional to any architectural style
Ultimately, the impact on market value will depend on various factors, including the style and age of your home, the size and location of your patio, and the preferences of potential buyers in your area. However, both sliding and French door models are always considered desirable features that can increase the appeal and value of your home.
So, which is the best option for your patio renovation in 2023? As you can see, sliding doors and French doors both have their unique selling points.
- Sliding doors are sleek and modern, while French doors are classic and elegant
- Sliding doors are generally less expensive, while French doors may add more value to your home
- Both models can be customized to improve energy efficiency and the overall look of your house
The final decision regarding what to install comes down to your personal preferences, budget, and the specific needs of your patio renovation project.
Before embarking on a replacement project, reach out to a reputable door installation company to discuss your options and get quotes for both sliding and French doors. Modern energy-efficient patio doors will give you a beautiful and functional design solution, adding value to your home for years.
Up Next: Ideas For A French Country Bedroom