Today, you will learn all about easily creating a lifestyle blog on your own and how to start a WordPress blog. Blogging is something I enjoy so much and I blog as a creative outlet to share my life, my travels and experiences with you, my reader. Blogging has allowed me to document my journey in this life but also to share my curated style, ideas and all of the things I love. You can start your own lifestyle blog and even make money with it for just a few dollars a month. Below, I have included discounted pricing so that you can start a lifestyle blog for an incredibly low price. You will also receive a free blog domain through my link too. Act quickly though because I’m not sure how long these low prices will last!
Disclosure: I am an affiliate for Bluehost, and will receive a commission if you sign up through my referral link. This is at no additional cost to you, and you will get great pricing and a free domain name through my link. Learn more about my disclosure policy here.
What Is A Lifestyle Blog?
A lifestyle blog is where a blogger will blog about their lifestyle, interests, and experiences. Here at North of Bleu, I blog about my life and my interests, which include recipe posts, travel, home décor and wellness. These topics incorporate my life and I share them on my blog.
Because lifestyle blogs are usually more personal, they are different from other types of blogs that teach the reader something new, or share information. Finance and tech blogs for example, teach the reader information. Lifestyle blogs usually inspire their readers.
The great thing about lifestyle blogs is that you don’t have to stay within one niche – there are so many you can include in your blog. The choice is up to you! Many lifestyle bloggers talk about fitness, parenting, travel, beauty and more. It’s totally up to you to decide what you want to blog about!
How To Start A Lifestyle Blog
Click here to start a blog on WordPress, then use the tutorial below for the easy directions.
Updated for 2022
If you’re looking to start a WordPress blog for cheap, then choosing Bluehost for your hosting needs may be your answer. Bluehost is a great web host and I personally have had a great experience with them.
Blogging is something I do for fun and I enjoy it as a creative outlet. It also allows me to make money which is also a nice perk! If you’re looking to start a lifestyle blog, then this post will guide you step-by-step on how to create a lovely lifestyle blog of your own.
I love that with my lifestyle, I am able to work remotely, travel wherever I want, whenever I want, and live the life of my dreams on my own terms. My life is amazing and I feel like it keeps getting better, day by day.
Anyone can create a lifestyle blog to document their journey in life or use it to make money to start a career. The choice is yours and the choices are endless.
Bluehost is one of the top web hosting companies this year and you can start your own blog with them for as low as $2.95 a month (this low price is through my link only)! Also, if you sign up using my link, then you will get your domain for free if you purchase a 12 month or longer hosting plan (a $15 value). I highly recommend signing up for the 12-month hosting plan through Bluehost. It’s affordable and you can save a lot of money by signing up for at least 12 months. If you want a better deal, the best value would be purchasing a 36-month plan, as your monthly rate is much lower over the long run.
If you are interested in making money from your lifestyle blog, doing freelance work, or turning it into a business, then paying for your hosting, such as through Bluehost, is a must if you are serious about taking your blog to the next level. It’s extremely cheap as well to go through Bluehost AND you get a free domain (for the first year). Making money on Blogger or any other free blogging platform is very difficult, and in many cases never happens. Most advertisers and companies tend to run away from Blogger websites because they don’t view them as professional as self-hosted WordPress blogs, so that’s another reason why you should consider using Bluehost.
There are many reasons why you may want to choose Bluehost for your WordPress blog and I’ve listed some reasons below:
- It’s super easy to use and anyone can create a WordPress blog my tutorial below. Bluehost makes it very easy to create a WordPress blog.
- Bluehost web hosting offers technical support.
- Bluehost is extremely affordable and they offer cheap web hosting. You can have a blog of your own and the only real expense you need to pay is the cheap blog hosting which starts at just $2.95 per month.
- You get a FREE blog domain.
- WordPress through Bluehost is FREE.
- Bluehost offers a guarantee in case you determine that it is not for you. If you sign up for Bluehost, but you are confused for any reason (such as how to set it up, picking a plan, pricing, etc.), you can always send me an email and I can help you out.
- You will be self-hosted. If you want to monetize your blog, you need to be self-hosted and this allows you to make money from your lifestyle blog.
- You will appear professional to readers, companies, brands and sponsors if you are self-hosted on Bluehost.
First, you will need to head on over to Bluehost to do any of this. There are many web hosting companies out there, but Bluehost is honestly one of the best. There is a reason why many bloggers choose Bluehost for their web hosting needs.
If you plan on starting a blog on Bluehost and you are interested in learning how to start a blog on WordPress, continue below. Remember, if you sign up for Bluehost, but you are confused for any reason (such as how to set it up, picking a plan, pricing, etc.), you can always send me an email and I can help you out. That’s what I’m here for so don’t be afraid to send me an email.
How To Start a WordPress Blog on Bluehost
Register your domain name
You can click here to purchase a domain name and create a lifestyle blog, then continue to follow the easy steps below.
The very first thing you will need to do when starting a WordPress blog on Bluehost is to think about what you want your domain name to be. This can be tough, and I would give some serious thought to this.
I don’t even remember how I came up with my blog name. It’s a long one though and at times I regret it. Trying to spell out my blog name to people who don’t know about it can get frustrating because they don’t know if I’m saying “cents” or “sense!”
You can get your domain directly through Bluehost and make the whole process very easy. If you do this, you can get a FREE domain for the first year as long as you buy 12 months worth of Bluehost web hosting. This makes it well worth it to sign up for at least 12 months of hosting as you will be saving a good amount of money this way. You also get a cheaper monthly price when you buy at least 12 months of hosting, so the free domain just makes it even better. If you want an even better deal, the best value would be purchasing a 36 month plan, as your monthly rate is much lower over the long run. If you decide to get the free domain, just continue to the next step as you can buy your hosting and get the free domain all in one step.
Buy Hosting For Your Blog
Setting up a WordPress blog on Bluehost is very easy. First, we will talk about the costs of blogging:
- To receive the cheapest price to start a blog, then choosing the “Basic” plan is really all you need. It’s only $2.95 per month through my link (due upfront in full) if you sign up for 36 months, which is a great price. If you sign up for a 24 month plan, then the price is $3.95 per month. If you sign up for a 12 month plan, then the price is $4.95 per month. $4.95 is still extremely affordable and it’s a great plan to choose (especially since you get a free domain at this price still!). If you are unsure about blogging, I would sign up for the 12 month plan as this is still a great price and very affordable for one year of blogging. If you purchase a 12 month plan, your total price is only $59 a year, which is still a great price. Plus, you still receive the free domain name when you sign up for 12 months or more which saves you money. The best value would be purchasing a 36 month plan, as your monthly rate is much lower over the long run.
- The Basic plan is all you really need for now, so skip the Plus and Business Pro plans as they are more expensive. You can always change it later to a different plan if you want to (and just pay the difference), so there is no need to sign up for extra that you do not need.
- The other item you may want to pay for when it comes to blogging is Domain Privacy Protection, which is only $0.99 per month. This is so that your contact information stays safe.
- Other than the above, you do not need the other items that Bluehost sells, so I would uncheck any of the extras that are listed.
- Remember, if you sign up using my link, then you will get your domain for free if you purchase a 12 month or longer blog hosting plan.
I want to reiterate why you should purchase at least a 12 month hosting plan. Month-to-month is less effective, and I highly recommend signing up for a minimum of 12 months for many reasons. By signing up for a minimum of 12 months, you will receive a free domain name, lower pricing, and you won’t have to deal with an expired website after each month. For example, if hosting is not renewed or if the card expires, then your website is down and you risk losing business (visitors/traffic) when you pay on a month-to-month basis. It’s also exceptionally more expensive to pay month-by-month rather than in one lump sum. The more years you sign up for, the less you pay.
Digital.com has an excellent blog post on web host pricing and how to choose the web host service that is best for your needs and budget. You can check out that post by clicking here.
Blog hosting will most likely cost you around $59 a year on average, or $99 for 3 years, which is a great deal! If you purchase a 12-month plan, your total price is only $59 a year, which is a great price. The best value would be purchasing a 36-month plan, as your monthly rate is much lower over the long run.
When you are ready to create your blog, follow the steps below to buy hosting for your blog.
- Go to Bluehost and click the “Get Started Now” button.
- Click on the package you are interested in.
- Enter your domain name you registered with earlier, or sign up for a new domain name here.
- Enter your personal and payment information.
- Next you will be asked to enter a password. Make sure it’s secure as this information is very important.
Connect Your Domain and Your Hosting
Note: You can skip this section (Section 3) if you buy your domain directly through Bluehost.
If you buy your domain through Go Daddy, then you will need to connect your domain to your hosting account. Go Daddy has a full support page for setting nameservers for your domain names. Below is a snippet:
“When you register a domain name with us, we set it up on our parked nameservers so a temporary page displays when visitors go to your website. After you determine which hosting provider to use, you can change your domain name’s nameservers to remove the parked page and activate your domain name.
If you registered your domain name with another provider, you can still purchase a hosting account with us, use our Off-site DNS services, or use our CashParking® or Quick Content services. If you do any of those, you must view your nameservers in your account with us, and then set the nameservers with your domain name registrar.”
How to modify your DNS Nameservers when you are using Go Daddy for your domain and Bluehost for your hosting:
- Log into the GoDaddy.com Account Manager.
- Select Manage Domains from the Domain Names drop-down menu or the Manage Your Account list.
- Select the domain name you wish to modify using the checkboxes and then click Set Name Servers.
- Enter your updated name server information in the spaces provided under the blue Name Servers heading on the right side of your page and click Save Changes at the bottom. Your entries should look like this: ns1.bluehost.com; ns2.bluehost.com.
You will then need to add the domain you bought (such as through GoDaddy) as an addon domain to your Bluehost web hosting. You can do this by clicking on “Domains” when logged into your Bluehost web hosting account and then clicking on “assign.” Follow the steps and it is very easy!
Install WordPress on Bluehost
Okay, this is probably the step that all of you have been waiting for. If you want to start a WordPress blog on Bluehost then continue reading.
This part isn’t hard at all. Bluehost makes it very easy to create a WordPress blog and it is FREE.
- After you create your password, Bluehost guides you through exactly what you need to do in order to start a blog.
- First, Bluehost will ask you to pick a theme. You can just pick a random one here or find one that you actually like. You can change it later so it’s not a big deal or just scroll to the bottom and skip this step. Remember, there are many free ones too!
- Click on “Start Building”
- On the next screen, you can choose “Business” or “Personal” – it’s up to you. Or, you can click the “I don’t need help.”
Congrats! You now have a WordPress lifestyle blog.
Some General Tips For How To Navigate WordPress:
- You can add and create new posts by clicking on “Posts” on the left-hand side when you are logged in.
- If you want to add an image, click on “Media” on the left-hand side.
- You can go to “Appearance,” then “Widgets” in order to add items to your sidebar, footer, and so on.
Do you have a blog? Do you use Bluehost for blogging? I’d love to know more about your blog and the content you create, so please share below!
I hope you enjoyed my tutorial on how to start a lifestyle blog on Bluehost.
Top 30 California Lifestyle Blogs
My blog, North of Bleu, has been featured as one of the top 30 lifestyle blogs in California! I’m so honored that my blog has been featured in Feedspot among other amazing lifestyle bloggers in California. I encourage you to check out my feature and learn more about Feedspot here.